I’m Eve, the CEO and Founder of Well Grounded. You may know about Well Grounded or we may be new to you. Welcome. I’m excited that you are interested in becoming a Non-Executive Director.
I started Well Grounded in 2016 with the belief that coffee could change lives – and it has. Nearly 5 years later we have supported 210 people into work, training and education through our programmes and ongoing support. Graduates of our programmes have moved into roles as Roasters, Baristas, Coffee Trainers and Coffee Business Owners.
What makes us who we are is our commitment to individuality, diversity, empathy and to bettering ourselves and our services on an ongoing basis.
As the pandemic continues and those most vulnerable are impacted the hardest, we are looking to grow our impact substantially.
We would love you to join our fast paced, diverse, dynamic and nurturing social enterprise to ensure we are here to empower the next generation of talent. You will be passionate about breaking down structural barriers preventing people from accessing meaningful work.
Take a read of this pack and then drop us a line. We can’t wait to work with you,
A society where people are thriving socially and economically, in a diverse, dynamic and nurturing coffee community
1. Introduction & Key Information
There are currently approximately 1.52 million unemployed people in the UK*. This figure is soaring, and is the highest since 2010, impacting those most vulnerable and in particular young people.
Well Grounded runs a series of specialty coffee training academies, connecting people looking for work with the training, qualifications and support they need to access sustainable careers in the coffee industry. We have the privilege of working with a diverse range of individuals, all motivated and driven to unlock their potential and become part of a wonderful coffee community. Since 2016 we have supported 210 people into work, training or education. This is all through our collaborative work with partners including over 100 speciality coffee employers.
Well Grounded is a Community Interest Company, operating as a social enterprise by reinvesting any profits back into the organisation to increase impact for beneficiaries.
As the pandemic continues and those most vulnerable are impacted the hardest, we want to grow and unlock the potential of many more individuals facing adversity. We are looking for two new members of our board to help us respond to the current unprecedented times, offering an exciting role in helping us shape our future in the face of considerable challenges and opportunities.
Application Deadline: 9am, 11th December 2020
Job Title: Non-Executive Director
Remuneration: This position is not remunerated but reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred fulfilling the duties of the role, including travel to meetings, are reimbursed.
Location: London / Virtual – our current academies are in Camden and Tower Hamlets but we are looking at regional growth.
Time commitment: In addition to two induction days and a strategy workshop, the Director is expected to attend a minimum of five board meetings per year, and may need to attend more if the needs of the business requires it. They may also be invited to attend and represent Well Grounded at events, meetings and functions.
Accountable to: All Non-Executive Directors are accountable to the Chair of the Board of Directors
*Employment in the UK – The Office for National Statistics
Empowerment, Collaboration & Community, Inclusivity, Fun, Professionalism & Quality
2. Job Summary
The successful candidate will be energised to bring fresh thinking and new networks to the work of the organisation. Critically you will be motivated by the vision and mission and be committed to living our values.
A Non-Executive Director is a member of the Board of Directors and brings independence, external skills and perspectives, and challenge to strategy development. Directors share a corporate responsibility and accountability for the governance and performance of Well Grounded.
Duties and responsibilities, with your fellow Directors:
- Act as a critical friend and ally
- Set Well Grounded’s strategic aims, ensuring that the necessary financial and human resources are in place to meet our objectives
- Effectively monitor and review performance
- Ensure the values of Well Grounded are implemented and we listen, understand and honour our obligations to our stakeholders
- Connect Well Grounded with suitable networks and organisations
- Interrogate financial information and ensure that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible
- Work with Senior leadership to ensure company accounts represent a true and fair reflection of Well Grounded’s actions and financial performance and that the necessary internal control systems are put into place and monitored regularly and rigorously
- Engage with and as appropriate, meet with external investors to discuss the progress and development of Well Grounded
- Commit to working to, and encouraging, the highest standards of integrity and governance
- Consider being a member of committees established by the Board to exercise delegated responsibility and support accountability. (At present, due to the size of Well Grounded, there is a finance and risk committee)
- As a member of the Board, support and encourage the Chief Executive and other staff members
- Engage positively and collaboratively in Board discussions
- Act as an ambassador for Well Grounded in engagement with stakeholders including the local community, and dealing with the media when appropriate
3. Person Specification
Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our mission. All Directors should understand their individual and collective responsibilities, and should not be overly reliant on one or more individuals in any particular aspect of the governance of the organisation.
Experience and Commitment:
- Strategic vision, sound and independent judgement
- A willingness to speak their mind
- Understanding, and commitment to, equality, diversity and inclusion, with the ability to bring diverse perspectives to the Board
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Empathy for the needs of our communities and clients
- An ability to champion diversity and inclusion
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- An understanding of and interest in social enterprise
- A commitment to the Vision and Values of Well Grounded
- The confidence and motivation to improve Well Grounded’s quality of service and performance, and to plan for and address challenges as they are forecast or arise
We are looking for two board members who have experience of working at a senior or executive management role in an organisation with one or more of the following specialist areas of knowledge:
- Commercial experience, in particular in the specialty coffee sector with reach and a base outside of London
- Marketing and business development, specifically for a start-up or business with ethical and social foundations
- Social Enterprise, especially moving from a start up to a scale up organisation engaging in multiple and varied contracts and income streams
- Law, specifically HR or employment law
- Policy and influencing at a local or national level
- Lived experience of facing barriers to work
No formal qualifications are needed. Our belief is that formal educational qualifications are less important than possessing relevant skills and expertise.
Please send your CV and a cover letter outlining why you would like to join the Well Grounded board to email@example.com by 9am on the 11th December. We would recommend an initial conversation with the CEO to discuss the role which can be scheduled via Eve’s email.
Thanks again for your time and interest in Well Grounded.
You can download a PDF version of the application pack here.
Well Grounded Jobs CIC
Unit 3b, Ground Floor, The Onyx
London N1C 4PF