We’re Hiring – Chair of the Well Grounded Board
Well Grounded is committed to best practice in equity, diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people from marginalised and often excluded communities.
Well Grounded Vision
A society where people are thriving socially and economically, in a diverse, dynamic and nurturing coffee community.
We empower a diverse talent pipeline with the skills, support and networks to access and thrive in the speciality coffee industry at our training Academies across London and Bristol.
This role is for someone passionate and motivated by our mission. You will lead a dynamic Board driving our growth trajectory to transform lives through coffee. As Chair you must bring independence, external skills, perspectives and challenge to our strategy development, whilst thriving in an entrepreneurial and agile environment. You must ensure the CEO is executing the organisational strategy through a productive, nurturing and progressive working relationship.
We have 7 Non-Executive Directors at Well Grounded and a staff team of 9. Our Directors
come from a broad range of backgrounds from commercial to charity and bring a host of different skills to the board. We have a Graduate on the Board and a high number of people with lived experience of the challenges our learners face.
In our new Chair, first and foremost we are looking for a person who is passionate about creating a society where everyone is given the opportunity to move into, and sustain in employment. Our ideal candidate will also be a brilliant ambassador who will use their networks to raise our profile and credibly influence decision makers in cross-party politics as well as employers and funders. We also are looking for someone who will be committed to spending time with our Trainees and Graduates to fully immerse themselves in the impact of our work.
The Chair will be committed to ensuring our learners play a lead role internally in governance and operations, and help raise their voice and power externally. They will also need to promote high quality governance, lead a committed Board and foster a constructive working relationship with our Chief Executive. The role must ensure we fulfil our duty to our learners and deliver on our vision, purpose and values, using data to drive our decision making.
- Provide inclusive and collaborative leadership and direction to the Board to enable it to fulfil its responsibilities.
- Ensure the values of WG are implemented and we listen, understand and honour our obligations to our stakeholders.
- Facilitate the Board to achieve excellent, well-rounded and carefully considered strategic decision-making in the best interests of the organisation.
- Ensure that WG pursues its purpose as defined in its governing document, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations.
- Maintain careful oversight of any strategic risk, reputation and financial management.
- Together with the CEO, develop the Board including induction, training, appraisal and succession planning.
- Engage with and as appropriate, meet with external investors to discuss the progress and development of the Company.
- Attend and contribute to the Finance and Risk Committee, feeding back into Board meetings.
- Chair meetings of the Board and ensure it performs its duties and responsibilities.
- In partnership with the CEO guide the creation of a charity and support the transition to a dual entity organisation.
- In partnership with the Chief Executive help achieve the aims of the organisation and optimise the relationship between the Board and the staff.
- Work in collaboration with the CEO to ensure they are reaching their objectives and that of the organisation through a constructive and supportive working relationship.
- Represent WG acting as a spokesperson and utilise networks to raise the profile of the organisation.
- Act as an effective champion of unemployed people, both ensuring they play a lead role internally in WG’s governance and operations, and help raise their voice and power externally.
- Passionate about WG’s mission and organisational purpose.
- Has the time to commit to Board meetings, Finance Committee and regular check-ins with the CEO.
- Strategically minded with an eye on the detail, understanding the nature of a small, dynamic social enterprise.
- Experience of managing organisational budgets and risk management processes.
- Experience of developing and executing organisational strategies, and using data as a progressive tool for progress.
- The ability to be an effective ambassador and spokesperson, including the ability to represent in political arenas, press and with all stakeholders.
- A strong network which can be used to support WG’s mission.
- Prior experience of working in, or leading a charity, non profit or social enterprise.
- Experience of working with vulnerable adults and leading successful safeguarding policies and processes.
At WG we value and respect all the differences that make us who we are, including: age, cultural background, disability and mental health, ethnicity and race, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and social background. We particularly encourage applications from communities underrepresented in our sector including racially minoritised people, people with disabilities, and those from low socio-economic backgrounds.
- Quarterly 2 hour board meetings with review of papers before hand
- Quarterly 1 hour Finance and Risk Committee meetings with review of papers before hand
- Monthly calls with the CEO, and adhoc support for any urgent issues
- Attendance at events and meetings with stakeholders
- Attendance at celebration events
Length of appointment: The appointment is for a three year term, plus a second three year term if reappointed.
Join Our Team
If you’re interested in applying please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1st December 2023
- A concise covering letter (no longer than two pages) or short video, addressing the criteria in the Person Specification.
- An up-to-date CV.
- Names and contact details of two referees (although referees will only be approached at the final stage of the process, and only with your express permission).
Twitter & Instagram: @wellgroundedhq